Owning a swimming pool or spa can be an enjoyable experience, providing a great place for families and friends to spend time together and have fun. It also comes with much responsibility. It is important to ensure everyone stays safe.
Here are some helpful safety tips to ensure that your time spent in and around your backyard swimming pool or spa is both enjoyable and safe.
1. Never allow children to swim alone without adult supervision. Keep a close eye on kids in and around the swimming pool.
2. Keep children away from pool drains, pipes and other openings to avoid entrapments.
3. Be sure your pool is completely fenced in. Fences should be at least four feet high and have no footholds or handholds that could help a child climb it. Install self-closing and self-latching gates, and position latches out of reach of young children.
4. Do not allow running on the pool deck or diving in a shallow pool.
5. Do not put electrical appliances near the pool.
6. Never use a pool with its pool cover partially in place. This could cause a child to become trapped under it. Always remove the cover completely.
7. Remove steps to above-ground pools when not in use.
8. Keep rescue equipment by the pool. Also have a telephone at poolside and keep emergency numbers nearby.
**See your local municipality for requirements**